Pillbox

At the start of May, I returned to one of my former employers, the first pharmacy I ever worked in. I remember the manager talking about temporary employment when I helped them earlier this year. This neighborhood pharmacy has always had a tightly-knit team, so if someone leaves, it's difficult to fill that gap. Two of their technicians will be absent this summer; one is tending to wedding arrangements while another is about to go on maternity-leave. I didn't think I'd be doing this again, but it seems the opportunity came at the right time for all of us. 

Since becoming a technician, I've worked a number of environments and learned all kinds of things from each experience. Every pharmacy offers something different, to meet the needs of patients and fulfill doctor's orders. With that said, there are times when I don't know how to assist unique clients. I've been accused of harassing patrons, sometimes harming business without knowing until after the fact. How am I supposed to know if no one communicates with me? Instead of pointing fingers at one another, can we look for solutions together? I challenge this often, because I never intentionally mean to hurt anyone. 

As an outsider coming back in, how am I supposed to know who gets "special" treatment over those who don't? Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a guessing game with their patients and my presence is never enough. There are times when my assistance is denied, because they don't know who I am. To me, this is one of the most offensive things, but what can I do if the Customer is Always Right? The best thing I've come up with is remain calm and polite as I always have. As long as their familiar faces have gone away, we all need to cooperate with each other, whether they like it or not. 

After giving it much thought, I realize that this place needs me more than I need them. Most of the skills that I have now, I learned outside of this place. I'm not upset about it, but it tells me that I learned to stay afloat without them. I'm not saying it to be arrogant, but I understand where I am with this team. I've known the manager since 2015 and I don't consider myself the best employee, but they know I'm reliable and I think that's why they keep calling me to help out. This kind of independence is one of the greatest things I've discovered about myself.

Comments