Vile Fountain

By chance, I've returned to my first Pharmacy and in a turn of events, my temporary employment has been extended for an indefinite amount of time. How did I end up in one of the craziest parts of town, again?! I work in Hollywood, where you think it would be glamour & fame, but we serve some of the wildest people I've ever met - Even the most attractive strangers could be hiding something behind their facade. I reserve judgement on alternate agendas, because my job is to assist and improve the lives of others, regardless of who they are. I always want to believe in the best of people, but my naivety is a fault too. 

At the corner of Sunset and Vine, just a few blocks away from work, there is a modest Fountain where many people convene. I walk through this intersection whenever I commute via metro train and there's always something strange lingering. Of the things I see most frequently: horn-happy cars screeching in gridlock, disheveled crazies swearing at the breeze, homeless people washing clothes and bathing in the fountain - so often, I've started calling it Vile Fountain. The list goes on and some things that just can't be explained. This occurs so often you'd think I'd be use to it by now, but I'm still shocked at all of the activities.

With exposure to this environment, I've learned it's okay to be selfish; to be cautious about others and take care of yourself. I've never noticed how aggressive people can get until I worked in the heart of Hollywood. Located across the street of a Mental Health clinic, where many homeless and some less fortunate seek refuge. They always say it's impolite to stare, but there are some things you can't help but watch in despair. How do people combat their ailments? Drugs, Naturally. This type of work taught me that you could never judge a book by its cover, but to bear witness it always amazes me.

Hollywood is best known for showing brightly lit marquees, but glossy images are a front for everything. We sugar coat our perceptions to have a sense of appreciation, but there's more than we allow ourselves to see. I've learned to be tolerant about certain aspects, including work, but I've seen things in the city that have changed my whole view. I've only been working in Pharmaceuticals for the last few years and in that time, I've awakened to unfortunate realities. Maybe this is why I never gained pride in the city, because I only see as far as the shadows cast. Lots of these thoughts and observations come from Sunset & Grime, here at Vile Fountain.

Comments