BIG RED

Last Monday: I woke up with bug bites on my right forearm and left leg. I don't know what attacked while I slept, but whatever it was left gnarly marks to scratch. I didn't hesitate to wash all my bedding and went back to bed with minimal comforters that evening. I thought the wounds would heal overnight, but they only worsened with time. The next day, the swelling wrapped around my limbs and reddened at the source of the bites. The itching became unbearable and I couldn't resist the urge anymore. 

My manager inspected my forearm and dismissed me early Tuesday afternoon - so I bolted to the clinic for treatment. I changed out of uniform to see the damage and discovered the bite behind my thigh swelled half way around my leg. The skin grew like a red, hot balloon, almost turning purple. It's size shocked my mother, a nurse of 40 years. I arrived to the clinic with my sores on display and was immediately put into an "Isolation Room". Nobody knew what type of infection I had, whether I was contagious or not. Enclosed by sterile walls, the noise came to a halt; the world grew quiet as I was about to be examined.

The Nurse Practitioner concluded that I have extremely sensitive skin and was having a severe allergic reaction. They couldn't tell what bit me, but advised me to take medicine immediately. They issued an emergency injection and sent me home with steroidal pills, cream to reduce the swelling, as well as Benadryl to prevent the itching. I was convinced my body could fight it off until the end of the week, until I caught myself clawing everything the next evening. I've never had a reaction this bad and I couldn't stay sane at work with all of that going on. I became afraid of sleeping, in fear that the bugs would strike again.

Thankfully, I was granted Friday-Off to recover and spent weekend resting. I didn't want anyone to see me during the healing process, but I still made a few public appearances. Whenever someone asked how I was doing, "I'm on drugs," was all I could muster. The steroids reduced my swelling, but increased my blood pressure and agitation. Benadryl does wonders for my itching, but the sedative has me weak at the knees every evening. It's been a week since the initial diagnosis, but I've finished the last steroid pill.

They warned me about the side effects and I've felt some real highs and lows as the meds have run their course. Even now, I think about what could have caused all of this? What kind of bug marked their territory on me? Picturing them makes my skin crawl. The itching was awful though, stinging at times. I couldn't hide my shame; I couldn't face anyone with sores swelling, glowing atomic red. The nightmare has ended for now, so I'm taking preventative measures to make sure I don't do this again anytime soon. I've dealt with bug bites before as a child, but none that would transform me into Big Red. 

Comments