Happiness Extraction

My friends have been telling me that Happiness is a Choice. So why do I feel I'm always struggling to grasp it? This isn't necessarily something takes a physical form; I'm talking about the moments I once found joy in, but no longer want to associate with, because of the interactions that others are having. I find it difficult to keep my vision of Happiness, as others keep inserting themselves in the things I viewed as almost sacred. Their interception diminishes from what I've invested so they can talk shit or boast about it; I'll call this the Happiness Extraction.

I'm not saying to prohibit others from engaging in moments or events - Happiness is meant to be shared after all. At the same time, I don't spread my hobbies as if they're fads, or trending hashtags. I view these aspects as sometimes personal, biographic or self-reflective. In that respect, I'm selective about who I share my passions with. So Why would I associate with those who ruin my pleasure? I can't let anyone steal the things I treasure. Happiness Extraction covers a range of those who are careless to the ones who are clearly pretentious. I wouldn't want to be categorized with any of them.

When someone you dislike takes interest in something you enjoy - And you start replacing that feeling with the image of someone you hate. You're throwing Happiness away for no reason. Why do you allow others to ruin your fun? I have to address this, because I'm guilty of doing it all the time. I know I hold onto the discomfort of others. Their presence stands in the way of me and my happiness. I wish I knew how to avoid Happiness Extraction, but I suppose my mind is to blame. Joy is meant to be spread, but this is one of the worst habits to have, that prevents me from emotional fulfillment.

Perhaps Happiness Extraction is strictly mental, but it's something I'll have to eventually get over. Admittedly, it is sometimes painful knowing that someone else takes those special moments for granted, because they don't see any beauty or value in it. The bottom line being: It's difficult to enjoy life when your vision is associated with someone you hate. Whether those feelings stem from failed relationships, dropped connections, or pure disdain, that resentment lingers on. These are strong words, but there's no better way to describe the feeling when someone sabotages the treasures you hold close.

Comments