Never Ending Stories

Documenting personal moments is so easy now and allows anyone to be a celebrity in their own world. Imagine being discovered and admired at the touch of the heart-shaped button. To be observed by followers, breaking the walls of your own privacy. Allowing others to see the world from your perspective. Having opportunities to show your side of an on-going story. Years ago, we'd have to wait on the weekly Paper or watch the Local News for what's happening. The current generation stays on top of everything with the innovation of Smart Phone live-broadcasting. It's hard to ignore it all, because cameras are available everywhere these days.

The number of "likes" and "views" gets me thinking - Applications are programmed with counters to show how many users encounter your posts. It's become even clearer now, how notifications can change people's lives. Being instantly admired and recognized, simply for sharing your point of view. Some might view this as their own popularity rating, others might see an opportunity to spread awareness for an even bigger statement or cause. The concept of the Hashtag, allowing users to search images and video using specific search terms. I'm not hating on all the new technology, but I think about how all of that instant gratification and Fame could change everything. 

At work, they have a strict "No-Cellphone" policy that I abide to the best of my abilities. Honestly, I don't like being distracted when I'm on the clock. I set my phone's "Do-Not-Disturb" hours through the duration of the shifts, so I can focus my full attention to the tasks at hand. The only time I'll check notifications is during my lunch break - even then, I keep my social media browsing to a minimum. I make an effort to stay devoted, so I can present my best self on-the-job at all times. That kind of representation is important to me; I can't speak on behalf of others actions, but what can you do. 

There are times when my coworker's slip their phone from out their pockets to see what's trending. Becoming engrossed in small, electronic screens, watching someone else's footage, or reviewing their own. Because they have to catch these posts before their 24-hour lifespan is up. In some cases, people want to react to those entries as they Go-Live. It dawned on me that maybe my coworkers get stuck within never ending stories, living vicariously in virtual-reality. All as a means to step away from the normality and banality of work. Current technology makes it easy to interact with one another from any part of the world at any time, but it becomes the most distracted part of our days as well. I reserve those distractions like late-night television at home.

It's so easy to get addicted to it and so easy to forget whatever tasks of importance you were doing before you hit that refresh button ... That's how these Never Ending Stories continue.

- - - - -
Related Content: http://puremystery.livejournal.com/145363.html Poetry - Dream Catcher

Comments