Chain Links

When people ask what I'm Doing at all of the events I've been attending, it's a mixed bag of things, in my opinion. I mean - There's a level of effort that goes into attendance - to support artists, enjoy performances and share company among friends. Most of the time, I feel I'm just absorbing the atmosphere. I've been told that my presence is more valuable than I think it is, but what more can you do as an individual, to support people you care about? (Besides buy their merchandise.) I realize these events pose as opportunities to reach out and meet someone different every time. That doesn't take away from how difficult it can be to put yourself out there. I've felt it necessary to break away from my introverted self, many times. It's about investing in the things you care for most. The challenge then, becomes being present for all the people and events you want to support.

While the rest of us are busy being entertained, Kai goes to work as soon as it's Show Time. As the audience watches performances, he focuses on getting all the right shots. Concerts benefit him as an artist, expanding his ever-growing portfolio. Making every event an opportunity to capture something memorable. Having done this hundreds of times now, Kai can't attend shows the same anymore - as he sees everything through the lens. Kai blurs lines between fans, performers and associates; viewed as an independent, semi-professional. However - Since becoming familiarized with Los Angeles' local music scene, we've both been fortunate to make meaningful connections through social media, or simply crossing paths at venues. It's safe to say that most of those people have become good friends and mentors in the process. I'd like to think we've kept positive relations with everyone met at these events. It shows in our interactions and efforts as it continues.

It makes you wonder how some of these collaborative efforts come together. Friends sometimes ask, what's the easiest way to link up with the artists that we see? My best advice is initiate conversations with people. It starts with something as simple as coming forward; so don't be afraid of giving yourself an introduction. From vendors, stage hands, to performing artists, sometimes the managers, even. Expanding your network of those who contribute to these experiences could make that much of a difference. Whether they respond or not is completely up to them, but at least you're making an effort in creating that connection. You never know who you'll befriend down the line. I liken this to the concept of chain-links. Not inclusive like fences, but more about strengthening the bonds between you and the world's many contributors. Just like chains, the link is that much stronger when polished with care.

Comments