Life Before Technology

Do you remember what life was like before smart phones became an appendage of ourselves? How did we function before all of this connectivity? I'm not completely anti-technology, but there are times when it feels more like a distraction than an assistant. I'm compelled to discuss these matters, because I had to get my phone replaced this week. I've been using the (iPhone SE) model a little over 1 year, but after examination, technicians informed me I needed to replace the unit entirely. If I didn't have steady income right now, I'd take it as a greater loss. Thankfully, I saved enough cash to cover this and carry on. Talk about first world problems, I know. 

When my phone lost power and was unable to recharge, I panicked a little. Part of me worried I'd miss an important message or phone call. I realized notifications are rare for me and sometimes unnecessary - I started thinking I'd be better off with far Less distractions. Another part of me continues adapting with or without it. However, temporary absence allowed me to see how much I rely on the smartphone for an everyday basis. Having used alarm clocks, notes, reminders, weather and navigation, just for basics. And I know it's hypocritical of me: I transfer hand-written entries to this blog via mobile application. Smartphone technology has been doing so much that I haven't had to think about their accessibility until everything was taken away. 

Just like human ailments, technological issues need to be diagnosed and resolved by professionals. I had to get this fixed to return to some normality. Part of me wishes I didn't have to worry about it, but in our current day, having a phone is essential to identity. I wanna say: 20 years ago, I viewed mobile technology as meant for business-oriented people. If you had a personal cellphone, you were important enough to have a direct line. Network companies developed Contracts and "Pay-As-You-Go" systems to keep their consumers. As the world said goodbye to land-lines, everyone gained access to smartphones. Having a cellphone has become as essential as food and shelter. It feels like a status symbol at times, reflecting personal taste, in addition to being necessary for communications.

It's kind of ridiculous how much we rely on devices to stay informed and connected. Whether you prefer one brand over another, technology mends us into the current social fabric. It blows my mind, because I cross paths with hundreds of people on the metro everyday - What's the one thing we all have in common? How incredibly absorbed we are in the mobile worlds of our own. It's taboo now, to not stare into an electronic device while in public, so I kept an older brick (iPhone 5C) to feel part of the community and take part of the reverse-isolation ... The Irony. Would you know what to do with yourself if you didn't have your own devices? Imagine Life Before Technology; a Land Before Time.

Comments