Poetry - Eyes on the Train

Is it Forbidden to cross paths?
A friendly exchange; A longing
to Engage Companionship. Yet,
We are all so Eager and Timid.

Are we Afraid of making Contact?
As we Refuse to meet at eye level.
Always on the train, Watching
People avert their gaze. Behold.

There is this fear of Rejection-
Embarrassment, Vulnerability.
I saw you Looking back; I was, too.
Not sure what you're searching for-

Here I am, but Where are You?

Might as well list you 'Another
Neighbor who never interacts.
How is this any different from
Those I live at home with?

"I wish that I could talk to you,"
I'm waiting for you to come up.
Let's not wait another minute--
Too late, the Doors closed shut.

- - - - -

I do lots of People Watching on the metro trains to and from work. Lacking so much courage to start conversation with any of the familiar strangers I cross paths with. Generally feeling Alone and unable to express anything further. I'm not good with titles, but this is what I've got to report so far.

Comments