Forever After

One of the most common endings to fairy tales is living, "Happily Ever After." It's silly to believe those stories could come true in the real world, but who says you can't dream? You have an entire lifetime to discover your place and purpose - depending on your response to whatever the world may bring. None of us live in a story book fantasy, but happiness is what everyone strives for; an overall satisfaction. Though, I wonder if some people sought out their path, or just let things happen. In that respect, I've been thinking about how people choose to spend the rest of their lives; the concept of, "Forever After."

Earlier this year, My grandfather, Lolo Tomas passed away while he and his wife (caretaker) were visiting the Philippines. Due to complications in the family, our interactions were limited and brief nearing the end of his life. I didn't know him in my adult years, but I remembered a stern and law-abiding citizen who wanted the best for his family. In his prime, he was a highly respected lawyer; one of few to pass the board in the top percentiles. He was survived by his (4) sons and (3) daughters, who are currently resolving legal issues with his caretaker. The problems left behind have become the responsibilities passed onto the next generation.

Despite the time and consideration that family members invested into helping this person, I'm not entirely convinced that my grandfather was ready to face the afterlife. The last time that my parents interacted with him, they commented that he looked emotionally empty, unable to speak or respond physically. My mother talked about his refusal to confront people he may have hurt down the line. It saddened me to hear this, because it's clear that pride created an unbreakable wall between Lolo Tomas and his loved ones. I can't help but imagine that he may have passed away in regret; he was unable to forgive or forget. I would hope that whatever comes Forever After can bring him Peace.

When my oldest brother announced that he and his girlfriend were expecting a child, I couldn't believe my ears. It's not that I didn't want them to have the baby, but I wasn't sure that they were ready for that kind of commitment. Shortly after their announcement, they proceeded to get legally wed and now live with the rest of us under our parent's roof. As crazy as all of that sounds, believe it as 100% true. The assumption is that becoming a parent makes people grow up and mature, but it hasn't gotten to that point for them yet. I don't know if my brother understands that his wife and child are now part of his family and responsibility as an adult. The way we perceive the world may be different than one another, but there's no denying the truth.

Sometimes, I think about what could've happened if they didn't have that child - What our lives would be like without all of this. Would we still have awkward, estranged relationships with each other? It's still there, but diminishing - Maybe things are changing, but it's taking awhile to see progress. Perhaps true colors and influences are surfacing now that an infant is among us. I think about the future for their child, because I'm not convinced that either parents were ready for her. The way that we interact and communicate shapes that growth immensely. It doesn't mean that it can't be helped, but only time will tell what happens.

The Story doesn't End here, rather, it's the Beginning of the rest of our lives. Forever After.

- - - - -
Related Content:
https://puremystery.livejournal.com/164621.html - "Filled with Regret"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZEbtG-hOxK/ - "Happily Ever After"

Comments