Poetry - Defense Mechanisms

Roses Bloom with Thorns
to Protect themselves
from Growing Astray.
A Defense Mechanism
I could relate to this day;

Why must they make growth
so difficult on themselves?
I wish I could flourish within
this Environment, but I see now
How one could feel Entrapment.

Sheep follow green pastures, but
forget Wolves lurk 'round the bend.
The Rats signaled me to Stop dead
in my tracks - they feasted; I realized
They ate the Core of my Progress.

Why Dream the Impossible?
What does Subconscious want
that the Mind can't Perceive?
Perhaps we trick ourselves,
thinking that we can achieve.

I trust these Visions of Grandeur
More than myself, in disbelief.
another Defense Mechanism;
a Lie that offers some Relief.
Hear Me: You are Not Weak.

- - - - -
I wrote this poem last month, as I was preparing to leave from the Pharmacy. I was thinking and feeling very differently than I do now. It took the entire month to heal, return to this and polish it.

What if I'm trying to do the impossible with this career? I can't singlehandedly change the system or practices. They say, "Fake it 'til you Make it," but I've got to convince myself I'm on the path I need to be. The last line says, "You are Not Weak," but I don't feel as strong as I need to be. I guess that's Reality.

Related Content:

Comments