Expect Delays

The blunt truth of Adulthood: We have to work for the rest of our lives. We must earn our wages, ergo, the Cost of Living. One of my family friends noted that whether she finds work in her professional field or not, she wants to do something she loves. I know that’s the most obvious answer, but this comes from someone who graduated at a university with a degree in Theater Arts. Currently, she works multiple jobs to support herself, one of which is a barista at Starbucks. I don’t think any less of her for doing so, but I admire her continued strength and attitude. I mean, if all of the effort makes her happy, then why should any of us question her choices?

I was warned, “Freedom Feels Good,” using my former coworker as an example when she took an extended absence. As of now, I’m not pushing myself to insanity through devotion to work. Nor am I trapped in any restrictive environment. However, in my last few years working as a Technician, I’ve hardly seen periods of relaxation. I find it difficult to have work-life balance when majority of the job revolves around full-time customer service. It’s incredibly challenging to nurture yourself in fast paced environments - People expect answers and results before you can exhale. It’s been tough finding that “Good Fit.” Though, I realize I may have been wrong about this career and my expectations.

It embarrasses me to admit that when I graduated high school years ago, I never made any plans for myself. I feel as though I’ve wasted time and money on lost dreams. I’ve even been persuaded into paths that were not my first choice. I often wonder if I’m a worthy candidate to continue on this road - Does it lead anywhere? If anything, I'd want to produce more sweat and less stress in the long run. Some life lessons require more patience and experience, though I wish I could have predicted my fate sooner. There’s pain in that honesty, but I’ve been evaluating my work-history and am now trying to apply toward something greater. It's taken me this long to come to these realizations and the best thing I can say for now: Expect Delays.

Comments