Broken Backbone

Being the backbone of any operation is never an easy task. This isn’t something where you can draw straws to decide who handles what job. We’ve tried that method, but it seems no one stayed faithful to the chore-chart. This is more about assumed responsibilities and getting work done - Not because someone tells you to do it, but because there’s a necessity to complete those tasks. I don’t know why my siblings don’t acknowledge this, but it’s aggravating. There are many times when I feel I’m alone in the mess that’s left behind and I rarely receive any thanks for things I’ve been doing. So why continue?

You could start calling me a body builder, because it seems I’m always pulling everyone’s weight. I wouldn’t say that this is necessarily by choice. It’s more along the lines of taking initiative to improve the way that things are. I usually find myself saying, “this could be better ...” or, “what this needs is ...” Then another part of me says, “I wish I wasn’t the only one doing this.” I shouldn’t have to ask other Adults to complete their chores or clean after themselves. That carelessness becomes more apparent as time goes on. I don’t even know how to address these issues with them, honestly. I’ve failed to get the point across every time it’s been brought up.

I don’t know if anyone realizes that their laziness has consequences - Because Yes, even doing nothing can be Problematic. I wonder if they even see their errors? Or perhaps they assume that doing the bare minimum is all that’s required. Sometimes I wish people could see beyond themselves and observe how they function - I wish people were more aware of themselves and how it affects others. I realized that I’ve become one of the few to take extra care, whereas others have been slacking, letting it become the norm. I see now why my parents became the people they are today, but that shouldn’t mean carrying everyone’s weight through their current stage of retirement.

Cutting corners makes life harder for whoever picks up the pieces left behind. I've done enough damage to myself this year, cleaning after someone's leftovers. I haven't told many people about this, but I might as well come clean: I started experiencing Sciatic Nerve Pain (ongoing since mid- September), because I overexerted myself. Whether it's due to physical or mental distress, I don't actually know that this condition will ever cease. With that said, I'm not about to break my back for people who aren't even paying attention to the work I've been putting in. I'm greatly saddened, because I can feel this backbone wearing thin; I don't know who will help bring Us back to strength again.

- - - - -
Related Content:
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/09/forever-after.html - "Forever After"
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/06/alone-together.html - "Alone Together"
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/05/hibernation.html - "Hibernation"

Comments