Strictly Business

Having worked in pharmaceutical settings the last few years changed the way I view my efforts; the past constantly influences the the way I function today. Part of the reason I can't see myself willingly continuing within the pharmacy is my inability to improve workflow. I can’t recall how many times I’d been chastised for not following someone else's practices. Even if I offered alternative, efficient solutions, my suggestions would often be ignored and rejected because, “that’s just not the way they do things.” I had been taught to complete technician’s work to please my employer and not my own - Truly, they are creatures of habit. I'm beginning to think that this is one of the reasons why I could never be "comfortable" in those spaces.

Before I started working at the office, I thought I was the “most organized” person in our House. Was I wrong to believe so? Being an accounting assistant, even at it's most basic level, is proving to be quite challenging and time consuming. Honestly, I would've never known that, so I'm doing everything in my power to conquer each task how I see fit. It seems the biggest concerns revolve around our Boss; from what I gather, he's an extremely particular person and makes the most vague requests. I try not to upset his character, but I'm learning how to respond to him and everyone else for that matter. I don't like being anyone's burden and most of the time, that means completing everything on my own. As intimidated as I am, I've been busy absorbing this new atmosphere, focusing on the experience and lessons learned.

I know this is just the beginning of another chapter, but the strictest person is myself, really. I’d like to think that I'll gain enough confidence and grow with the company, but I admit I am not the fastest learner. I know that I set out with lots of ambition, but there’s so much about this business-oriented world that I know little about. The overwhelming fear of the unknown keeps me hesitating. Despite the weight of self-doubt, my friends constantly encourage me and I'm eternally grateful! This is an entirely new world to me and I need to learn to identify certain details in order to move forward.  Whether the office decides to keep me or not is up to them; I realize that I have no problem staying or leaving.

You’d think starting over might make life easier, just like resetting a video game, but it’s actually the opposite. Having an everyday-job creates normality and sustainability, but no one ever said it would be fun. Strictly Business - Go Figure.

Comments