Poetry - For the Lonely

Why are you so quick to flee?
Perhaps I made you run from me.
You know how I feel for you,
Am I not convincing enough?

Undeniably, there’s a connection,
Signals sent with clear reception.
Still, I can’t force you to reciprocate,
I hope we could meet halfway.

Despite how rarely we interact,
Those memories I keep in tact.
I won’t make you see my truths,
But your presence is highly valued.

Part of you must feel betrayed,
rest assured, the Love will stay-
Whether you accept it or not,
the Heart knows what it wants.

- - - - -
“Loving someone is giving them the power to hurt you, but trusting them not to.”

Maybe we fear giving and receiving affection, because it’s a form of exposure, vulnerability. Who can you trust when you feel you’re suffering? When I‘m reluctant to move forward, I will retreat; I’m afraid of what can happen, but I’ll allow people to enter my life when I’ve reached comfort. In my attempt to reach others, I feel distanced still, but their resistance won’t stop the flow of the emotions. That’s the way it goes, I suppose.

Originally, I rejected this entry and wanted to scrap it, but I will share for the occasion of Valentine’s Day. I haven’t “participated” in the material aspect of this holiday for a long time, but I enjoy poetry. I was inspired by an animal that kept running away when I approached him. We are scared and lonely creatures, looking for companions in the realm of the familiar.

Comments