Comprehending Previous Trauma

The Medical field was initially something I hadn't considered or explored, but had been told so much about. I thought taking this position would grant me the financial independence I craved. I was told that this work would be fulfilling and I would be helping all kinds of people in the community. Everyone I spoke to heartily encouraged and believed in my pursuits. There were a few people who warned that it might not provide all the treasures I seek. Still, I accepted the unknown and embraced the challenges it proposed. I had high hopes becoming a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT).

As it turns out, this career exercised my memory and attention to detail. Learning different drug categories, dosages and the importance of notation, for example. Handling materials properly and maintaining an inventory are things I grew highly aware of. Having a quality production line; preparing the doctor’s specific order and matching the patient’s preferences. Not to mention I had to adapt socially, which seemed to be one of the most difficult tasks. I did not get along with all of my coworkers or patients and this proved extremely frustrating. In some situations, I never felt I was truly part of the team, so I stood out a good amount of the time.

Whenever I reflect on the things that happened during these last few years, I think about how I struggled to be happy with it, even on my last day of employment (August 31, 2017). Despite my academic advances, strive for optimal workflow, willingness to excel and succeed, I was always missing something critical. There’s no way to appease everyone: employers, coworkers or the patients. This always left room for at least one person to criticize my methods or say that my efforts weren't enough. I constantly had to extend above and beyond for respect or acknowledgement.

No matter what I did, I wasn’t cutting it as a CPhT in Los Angeles. Working under these extremes taught me so much about myself, the pharmaceutical industry and it’s practices. It took me awhile to accept that this type of work may not be meant for me. I denied that belief for the longest time, because I worked so hard just to get there. My license and certification remain active to this day, but having been through all of those trials, I don’t know that I would go any further. I pushed myself to do even better than all of this; not for others, but to allow myself to grow and move on.

I hope that what I just said doesn't discourage anyone from trying new venues, especially if you want to do it for yourself. When I look past pharmacy store fronts, or I hear people talking about their prescription medications, I feel like maybe I could have been there to help them. At the end of the day, it didn’t work out for me, so there are times I feel sorry for having done all that for naught. I learned so much in the last few years and gained unique experiences I don’t know where else would be possible. For now, observing it is like one of those wounds that’s still healing.

Comments