Prisma Presents: Something About SAD J

Awhile back, I was introduced to somebody special; we'll call them SAD J. Everything they ever produced added flavor to this unique melting pot of creation. Their world was something I wanted to be part of, but I couldn't commit myself to their vision entirely. Despite my doubts, they recognized me as an independent artist and respected my talents. They welcomed me into their established community of art, music and culture. Over the years, I watched SAD J expand their collaborative network, all while sustaining their sense of sophistication and style. This relationship became an inspiring and an influential part of my life.

We worked together in harmony; their content inspired me to produce art and we promoted each other's crafts equally. The work shared with everyone proved to be the product of all our talents combined. When the world saw what we could do collectively, SAD J got recognized by even bigger names within the industry. I never actually asked for anything in return, except that we share the platform of collaboration. What seemed to be some of my greatest artistic achievements turned into an uncomfortable reality. Suddenly, crediting me as one of their contributors no longer held any importance. As spotlights grew bigger and brighter, I sense SAD J lost sight of me. Heartbreaking.

My art was circulated without crediting my name; I felt betrayed every time any of it was exposed without me. I brought this to their attention several times and shared my concerns in relation to their community. They refused to understand where I was coming from; independent artists trying to grow and succeed, so why couldn't they include me? SAD J needed to understand my contributions were gifts to them and their establishments, but all I wanted was to be acknowledged on their social platforms, as I had consistently done so for them. I thought the dream was all about having an environment to promote Inspiration and Creativity. As I understand it: Respect was replaced by Vanity.

Regarding my own creative content, nothing had ever been set in stone or written within any contracts; I suppose this is where it gets a little messy. SAD J expressed that my attendance was an allowance of their generosity. In other words: my presence was welcomed among them and their peers, under their terms and conditions. I made efforts to apologize for any misunderstandings, but soon thereafter, my artistic presence was no longer welcomed by them. So, I made the decision to set myself free of them. Yet, even to this day my artwork is still shared among their peers and their community. I wonder if they ever recall my name, or think about the impact we made together.

I stopped sharing my talents among those who refuse to appreciate and acknowledge them; at the same time, understand that you no longer need me. We made a great team, once upon a time ... So Long, SAD J.

- - - - -
Notes:

* This entry does not directly reflect my Life Narrative; this story is my interpretation of someone else's experiences. They had difficulty expressing what had happened, so I opted to write something for them.
* An alternate title: "Held Over Quiet Notice," this an anagram for one of (SAD J) existing projects. I thought the alternate title might refer to someone being dismissed & disregarded without remorse.

Comments