Best Kept Secret

“You are your Best Kept Secret.” It’s been awhile since I first heard this, so I can’t accurately recall who said it. I remember this being used as words of encouragement, with an emphasis on the unique qualities we hold within ourselves. Secrets are the things we keep close to our hearts and are sometimes viewed as sacred, even. The lesser known gifts and talents that make us desirable within social circles. Recently, I’ve been thinking about this quote in relation to other people. On an intimate level for example: Who do you reveal the deepest parts of yourself with? 

I stopped speaking openly among social groups, because every time I shared a piece of my mind, I felt ridiculed or belittled by someone within the circle. I didn't sense my presence being valued, so I stopped contributing wholeheartedly to group discussions - I learned to be present at face value. I understand not everyone will agree with me or what I bring forward, but I no longer feel necessary to share with those who won’t invest in my time or thoughts. Practicing this kind of mindfulness allows me to appreciate others as they come and go. I don’t evade conflict, but changing how I react has helped me for the better, no doubt.

At this stage in life, I’m trying to treat the time I spend with others as opportunities to bond with them. To have space free of judgement and comparison: where each interaction is its own experience, or holding a unique lesson. The moment we stop drawing conclusions about each other, the easier it becomes to accept and welcome one another. Though, some we consider our allies may not be cooperative or understanding. I know now that people choose to make themselves present, so I’m learning how to respond and reserve myself appropriately.

Imagine possessing something that people want to behold, but they could never completely describe - A rarity you wouldn’t expose to the world, but instead enjoy for yourself. It‘s taken me awhile to recognize and accept this role with others. Sometimes regarded as that cool sibling or special someone they never noticed before. Even now, I don’t always see myself under the lens they may view. If what they see is in fact true, I’m not sure that many would understand the experience. Another friend once told me, “There’s something that needs to be said about when you want to announce your Love for someone.” Maybe that’s the Best Kept Secret; not revealing anything at all.

Truly Yours - 
puremystery, at camp iris.
- - - - -

Related Content - I've written about Secrets in the past, albeit in different ways:

Comments