Pull the Trigger

Have you ever genuinely opened up about your life, only for someone to dismiss your experiences? It’s annoying to assume that the other person listens, then cuts you off with, “It’s Not that Bad.” After all you’ve been through ... Why say anything at all when people draw their own conclusions about everything you’ve endured. This has happened enough times to make me uncomfortable talking about myself freely among others. I stopped being verbal about my trials, because someone always has the gall to say otherwise. That phrase upset me so much, I seal the door as soon as I see it opening.

Belittling people makes it difficult for me to exercise Empathy, really. While I value learning about others and knowing more about their path, I don’t trust many would reciprocate any comfort or understand my challenges. In this age, we'll see content that often starts with the phrase "Trigger Warning," but it's not that easy to Caution our everyday language. Whenever I hear someone say, "It's Not that Bad," those words silence me like a siren- everything comes to a screeching halt. Understand how frustrating it is, to withdraw from being undervalued. You matter just as much as I do; though, I know you may not always see things as so.

Revealing vulnerability requires an amount of courage, to trust that others do not use your weakness against you. Think about how many times you may have quieted yourself because another person made their opinions more important. How can anyone be comfortable talking about their life when their actions are ridiculed left and right? The desire to be vocal is strong, but an unceasing fear of rejection lingers on. As much as I want to believe the good that exists within people, it's disappointing when altercations rise above it. My experience is just as real and valid as your own - Please Do Not convince me that the obstacles I face are Less than whatever it is you perceive. 

This is something I wanted to discuss much sooner, but have been challenged when trying to express myself. Instead of identifying the source of frustration, I repressed those thoughts, ignoring the bitter feeling to entertain and distract myself with other things. When I returned to it, I noticed my resistance still present. I wanted to approach this in such a way that I didn't bring as much anger and resentment forward as when I was initially Triggered. You're probably thinking, "It's Not that Bad," and some part of you may be right. What you don't know is that I'm learning to convincing myself: My experiences are unique and Valid, whether anyone else accepts it or not.

Acknowledge the things that bring out the worst in You, let them pass. "Never let People get to you. They can only Pull the Trigger if you hand them the Gun."

Comments