An Emotional Performance

Last week, my folks invited me to join them for "A Joyous Christmas with FASO," as presented by the Filipino American Symphony Orchestra. My parents volunteered to be ushers for the event and reserved one of their tickets for me. One of my aunts regularly performs with this group and it always excites me to hear her play - I happily obliged. I recall attending another FASO holiday program at my former church, but I didn't realize how many people actively participate in an Orchestra. To see their ensemble stretched across the stage was an amazing experience; I'd love to see them again in the future.

I remember driving to the venue thinking: "this looks familiar, but I can't pin point it." I approached my former technical school feeling nostalgic; it was my first time returning to this side of town since I graduated (2015). The concert took place at White Memorial Church, neighboring the Hospital where my Grandmother passed years ago (2013). I'd never been inside their auditorium, but I liked how spacious it was. The Orchestra sat on stage, with church organ pipes framing the chorale. I sat alone during the first portion, about 20 minutes before anyone joined me. I had the first row of that balcony to myself.

People talk about emotionally moving performances and this is something I've been trying to understand for myself. There were times in the past when I was pushed to tears while watching other family members for dance recitals, but it felt different with the orchestra this time around. I was moved to almost-tears during some of the instrumental sections. As much as I wanted emotion to flow, another part of me resisted. I sat quietly thinking, "What triggered that just now? and Why did I stop myself?" I would like to watch more orchestral concerts in the future, so I can explore this idea and enjoy classical music.

Dad's side of the family has always been musically inclined: he and his siblings were raised to learn musical instruments in addition to Academic studies. As part of my childhood, my parents adopted a similar regimen and purchased piano lessons for my brother, niece and myself. I experienced so much frustration learning sheet music and decided not to continue. It still intimidates me, so I have an appreciation for people who can read sheet music and execute properly. I don't know that I'd return to it as an adult, but Mom was very encouraging. "Your Aunt started lessons in her 30's and look at her now. It's never too late."

This concert was courtesy of my Aunt and Parents. I don't know that any other siblings were invited to attend, but I'm glad I got to appreciate this on my own time. My aunt even invited me to join her Orchestra to play with them at their next concert! I'm honored she views me with such potential, though I don't know that I'm willing to commit myself to another instrument at this time, another form of art. Her gestures are always genuine and I appreciate her for always encouraging this part of me. There's something about music that fills my heart and my Aunt is one of the people I'm thankful for reminding me of that.

- - - - -
Related Content:

FASO @ White Memorial Church (2019) - https://youtu.be/nZd8X_Rl9b8
FASO @ Atwater Park Baptist Church (2012) - https://youtu.be/2-05GCkc5oc

Comments