Shark Bait

For the past few years, I've been working for someone named "Fishman" at his office, The Fish Tank. As crazy as it can get, my employer has been nothing short of generous. Even though I'm actively looking for opportunities elsewhere, they are aware of it and have continued providing me with everything I need, without having to ask for it. Steady paychecks with great wages, health benefits, commuter reimbursement (metro pass) and a solid team. Some of my friends asked, "If you weren't there, what would you be doing instead?" That's a Great Question and I'm still thinking about the Answer. I just didn't see myself with an Administrative Career in Accounting.

On the Dawn of the new year, I was given (Another!) pay raise and an opportunity to switch desks in the office. This would be my first time changing work stations since starting with them (2017). My immediate response was, "Is this your way of Promoting Me?" and then, "What New tasks will I be taking on?" Before they presented me with this opportunity, I considered alternative Customer Service and Administrative roles; it was a little surprising that they wanted me to take the Receptionist's seat in the front. Then I realized, if I can't handle the front desk of this office, what makes me think I can do it anywhere else?

One of my coworkers took me to the side and explained the intentions for this change. Even though I decided against leading at the Front, I will still be taking new responsibilities in the office. I expected this either way. I was informed that I will be in charge of Processing Returns for the 2019 Tax Year. While this does excite me, it gives me some anxiety: the previous employees who took these tasks either Quit or were Fired from the position. All of this makes me wonder if I'll be a better fit? As Mom said, "They wouldn't give you this job if they didn't think you could do it." Guess she's Right (as always).

With each season that passes, one of the mantras I would often repeat to myself, "I will stay with them for as long as they will have me." This isn't some kind of wishful thinking, but I feel that this is the best thing I can say without holding any fear to cling on or let go of anything. Perhaps this kind of thinking is what allowed me to Exist as I have in the past, as far as my working relationships go. I see myself taking on these new commitments as they continue to benefit me. As our team enters the new year, I hope that my efforts will help contribute to an effective and smooth workflow. Maybe this is another call for growth and they want me to dive in ... Let's see how it goes.

- - - - - 
http://fav.me/ddhh1iw - Shark Bait (2019) Illustration, black & white
http://fav.me/ddhh1j2 - Shark Bait (2019) Illustration, colored

"I work for a man named Fishman. Does that make me the Bait?"

Comments