Slow Down Even More

Years ago, I remember being invited to one of the many family functions - I don't know if it was someone's birthday, wedding or anniversary? We all got dressed up for the occasion. I remember being called to the dance floor during a Disco song, but when I moved around, I awkwardly bumped into other adults. I didn't have a dance partner at the time; I felt like an awkward teen in the middle of an adult section. This had such an impact on me, I became self conscious whenever it came time to dance in public thereafter.

Earlier this year, one of my friends encouraged me to pursue Freestyle as a form of expression through movement. She posted footage of herself performing with Flow Wands and Silk Fans often enough to spark my curiosity. Her flows always looked smooth and hypnotic, inspiring me to start my own movement. When I asked her about Wands, she suggested that I purchase the beginner short-string to try it out. When the package finally came in, I got so excited that I ran upstairs and spent the rest of the night learning how to use it. I was eager to move, play and learn so much on my own.

During our recent trip to the Philippines, my cousins asked if I brought my Flow Wand to show them some of my freestyle techniques. I didn't have space in my luggage to accommodate, but it surprised me how much joy and excitement this gave my extended family. Sharing my interest and appreciation for Flow Arts has built my confidence and given me a new passion. Initially, I engaged this form of dance because I wanted to exercise different parts of my body. Over the course of time, I have learned to love myself more than I ever have in my adult life.

Within the past few weeks, the string of my flow wand snapped and I decided to get a replacement. Along with this purchase, I invested in another Prop to feed my curiosity: an Adult-Sized hula hoop! After spending the last few days with this, I learned that my Mother and Sister also enjoyed Hula-Hoops in the past. I know very little about this type of performance art, but after watching several videos of people dancing and doing tricks, I told myself that type of Flow is something I'd like to achieve someday. I am definitely starting a new chapter in expression and there is so much to learn.

I have always admired a dancer's abilities to move across the stage, whether they perform a solo or as part of a choreographed group. I would want to dance with a friend or somebody special, but I guess that person hasn't come around yet. I started treating my props as if they are my dance partner and as I practice, I learn about how they function as well as how to execute movement with them. I don't know if I would be comfortable learning dance within a traditional setting, so I think this is what prompted me to pursue freestyle for movement. At this moment in Time, Dancing is the one thing I've looked forward to every single day to release the anxiety and tension in my body.

Mom said, "Flow in Slo-Mo." Please excuse me while I take my MEDS - Slow Down Even More.

- - - - -
Notes: I purchased my first Hoop through MoodHoops website. Adult-Sized Beginner Hoop, measuring @ 39" OD, "Blue Iridium" reflective style with Grip Tape. I decided to call this hoop the "Purple Thunderbolt", named after the lightning bolt bruises I found on my hips after 2+hours of play on the first day. I have been dancing so much, the hoop is already showing wear and dents around some of the sections. Wow.

Ideally, I'd like to do at least 20-30 minutes of exercise/practice/play when possible. I'm doing my best to document progress & flow - I recovered an old GoPro to record this and am excited to try more. I've started sharing on my YouTube account for anyone who is curious or wants to follow along. This is all very new to me and I know I'm making so many mistakes, but there is So much to Learn ... Honestly, I feel very good about myself when I've learned a trick and can execute with ease. I hope to explore more in the future, provided I have an appropriate (outdoor) space to practice.


http://tiny.cc/pmflowarts - Flow Arts Playlist

Comments