Dream - Severed Tongue

It was midday - The streets bathed in sunlight and shadows of people scattered across the boulevard. The air felt busy as I was a single speck among the masses. If I had to guess, I was in one of the many tourist traps of Hollywood. This scene reminded me of former days walking along the Sunset Strip. Spaces filled with unpredictable characters, it's best to be especially guarded on this side of town. Everyone was in their own world, minding their business; the reality that no one actually cares if you were seen there.

I reached blindly into my bag and felt something slither inside ... Oh Dear God! I pulled out a severed tongue; I'd say about the size of a giant slug. It felt slimy; the tongue salivated in my hands and left a trail of blood on everything that it touched. I could barely get a grip; the muscle snaked around my wrist as though it were trying to strangle that part of me. It jerked and evaded my attempts to remove it, so instead of fighting, I held on.

I walked among complete strangers, speaking loudly for all to hear: “LISTEN UP! I hold in my hands a Severed Tongue. Watch the way it jolts violently, as though the nerves are still attached to it's person. The way it resists, I think I know who it Belongs to. Yes, This is the Tongue of a Misogynist. The person this tongue was attached to beats Women - Believe it, they Berate Us! Trust my Words: They shall never speak poorly of Me or my Sisters again.”

The streets gasped and grew hushed as I marched on; bystanders held space for my one-person protest. Even as I walked the streets alone, I held myself with so much conviction that people didn’t question anything that I said. There was something strangely familiar about the Tongue's slither; I sensed someone's aura attached to it. The Severed Tongue of a Slanderer. I felt eyes following me as I stepped forward, no longer silenced. I held this Tongue And Spoke Truthfully on my own experiences.

- - - - -

I had this wild vision the other week and I kept thinking about what the severed tongue could represent. I don't dream of torturing others, so to see something raw like this shocked me, like finding a snake in the grass. I sense the tongue was planted in my bag; I was meant to find and reveal it to the public. If this tongue belongs to the person I think it does, the dream indicates that they have fallen silent on their own Truths - This does not surprise me.

I'm reminded of one of the most graphic scenes in "Old Boy" (Park Chan-Wook, 2003). The protagonist cuts off his tongue to appease his abductor; he humiliates himself in hopes to silence his shameful acts. In my attempts to release someone energetically and emotionally, I realize their essence still holds space in my subconscious. I know I have much to learn and heal as I move on without them. This vision validates every action I've taken to speak more openly and honestly about my experiences with harassment and violence.

Thank You for Reading. Thank You for Speaking Up.

http://fav.me/de1gwiq - sketch inspired by dream.

Comments