Savior Self First

Some of the greatest words of advice Dad passed onto me - "You are not another person's Messiah. You are not anybody's Savior."

This was an especially challenging message at first, because I felt I owed people apologies when I wasn't always wrong. During that time, I wanted to clear the air with individuals who were strongly opposed with their own convictions and biases. Through my experiences, I realized you don't always get the opportunities you want to express yourself - honestly though, some of those people don't deserve an explanation. While I am able to hold myself accountable for my past, I've started learning that I do not exist solely to facilitate other people's healing.

In the past, I used to take responsibility for myself and carry other people's emotional burdens, like a mother who comforts crying children. Over the years, I had an easier time showing sympathy for people who openly expressed their problems instead of examining my own traumas. Sometimes I'm able to carry myself so well that I don't recognize when I'm hurt. Since that time, I’ve realized this behavior is unhealthy as I would often suppress myself to help others. I don't consider myself a Healer, but I see how kindness is desired and can be exploited in a world of hardship.

With professional assistance, I've been able to identify some of my "broken" pieces. I recognize there are still parts of me that require effort and time. With guidance and a solid support system, I've been able to propel myself in directions I didn't think I could access. Investing time in Therapy has been one of the greatest things I've ever done for myself - and that's the whole point. One of my biggest takeaways is that the only person capable of making these decisions is Me. The further I move beyond my traumatic episodes, the less intense they are as I continue.

I’ve been meditating on my Sister's sentiment: “You decide when you have Healed. You decide when You're ready to Move on." As time has passed, I couldn’t agree with her more. Just because we're able to recover from our wounds, doesn't mean pain magically disappears forever. The way I'm starting to understand it; "Healing" is one of those life-long pursuits that contributes to our personal development. When we pursue our healing and reflection, growth happens when we learn to identify those challenges and address them in appropriate ways.

Closure does not necessarily involve final statements or apologies, but it marks the end of something, which we ultimately define by ourselves.

- - - - - 
Lift Fears Visors. Valor Rises Stiff. Savior Self First. 

Comments