Breadwinner Takes All

When I was growing up, I always viewed my parents as important people with reputable careers. My father was an architect to expanding firms and my mother was an Administrator / Case Manager within Healthcare. From the way they dressed, to the way that they spoke and interacted with others; I saw them as highly respected and valued in their fields. Their examples of professionalism heavily influenced me to believe that I needed to be well-mannered, educated and established in my line of work - whatever that would become.

Over the years, I feel that I've struggled to maintain an authentic, professional sense of self. It doesn't matter where I work or what I do; I have always taken roles of responsibility very seriously. I make it my priorities to perform well and be an excellent representative of my employers. I'm starting to see how placing more value in those tasks than valuing myself can become problematic. Even so, I still take pride in my efforts, because I feel that each advancement I've gained was something I earned, like a rite of passage.

I can safely say that I've changed careers multiple times in the last few years; I've been fortunate to have the flexibility and leverage to do so. I've been encouraged to value each experience as an opportunity to learn something new, every time. I have met so many people on this path and undoubtedly engaged the good, the bad and the ugly aspects in them as well. I've been regarded as an accommodating and sincere individual - This is another instance where I greatly value authenticity, as every action I've done has been intentional. I take pride in being my real self, everywhere that I go.

Lately, I've been examining my career path, thinking about what I would like to do next. Many coworkers and friends have encouraged me to pursue my creative self, as my office job drained lots of personal motivation and energy. I didn't consider myself a Breadwinner until I was able to support myself financially and contribute to my family. I value my ability to do so, but I desire something that gives me a sense of purpose. I'm in a strange mental space at this time, because I don't know that my Artistic pursuits would provide as substantially as my previous positions have. I'd say Trusting myself is the most difficult part of this Journey.

My dad of all people told me, "I hope the work you do is Fulfilling." - I hope so too. 

- - - - -
Related Content:

https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2020/08/hot-one-hundred.html - Hot One Hundred
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2020/04/choose-community.html - Choose Community
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2020/03/dream-mouse-in-maze.html - Mouse in the Maze

Comments