Dream - Haunted Hotel

Have you ever been somewhere and felt great unease the moment you stepped in? While some of you might be wise enough to walk away, there are those of us who are foolish to feed curiosity and look for any reason to return to such spaces. I bring this up, because there is an unusual place I've visited twice now and each time I try to explore it, I'm overwhelmed with intense anxiety. I know this all sounds like bad news, but another part of me wants to go back and pursue it. Curiosity Kills the Cat, right?

Some months ago, I found myself in the middle of a large, ornate room. I sense this was the central part of a building, perhaps an old Hotel Lobby as it had sets of stairs and hallways branching out to other areas. This section had high ceilings and tall windows all around it. The walls were dark at this hour and the room was uncomfortably silent. Each piece of furniture had been decorated with some antique porcelain dolls. I saw movement in the shadows as I scanned the room - I could hardly see, but I knew I was not alone.

I crept toward flowing curtains in an attempt to seal the doors and windows. Whatever had been lurking in the darkness, I didn't want anymore of it coming in. By the time I had done this, I realize I may have acted too late: Everywhere I turned, I sensed the porcelain dolls watching. Red, glazed eyes followed me, as snipers narrow their target. I had been surrounded the whole time and failed to notice. Stuck in the middle, I heard footsteps approach from the darkest corner of the room. With no idea where I should go, I ran for the east hallway. I panicked at the thought of a monster and woke up.

. . .

One month had passed before I ever saw this place again. I was accompanied by some of my family members the second time around, most of them were sleeping on lounge chairs and velvet couches. I didn't see any porcelain dolls on this second visit, but I felt inclined to walk around. I wanted to ensure our safety, should anything happen in this realm. I headed back to the east hall where I last left off. Once I turned the corner, I saw glass doors revealing a moonlit courtyard. The exterior had thick, tangled vines growing along its walls; I assume no one had touched this garden in awhile.

Outside, large spheres descended from the night's sky and landed in the middle of the courtyard. If I had to guess, these objects were at least 30 feet in diameter. The spheres were colored deep maroon and had tightly woven surfaces. They moved rather slowly, so I imagine they were as massive in weight as they were in size. The spheres rammed the windows, but were too tall to squeeze into the openings. I hurried back to the main lobby where my family slept and saw my father convulsing on the floor. Perhaps he had been possessed? I'd never seen him move that way before. 

"Something Feels Wrong ... Why can't I lift Myself?"
"Ah, Dad! Don't be alarmed, I'm going to seal the doors."
"Okay, Make sure your Mom and Brother are Alright."
"Yes Dad, they're asleep. Please stay here with them."

I gathered some cushions and blanketed my father so he wouldn't freeze through the night. I wondered if my Dad knew that he just experienced a seizure? I don't know that anyone else was present to witness it. I grew afraid that no one would believe me if I tried describing anything else I had seen in that place. As I tended to him, the spheres pushed against the windows, concealing the lobby in their shadows. I took one last look at my family as we were embraced by an infinite darkness. I had no desire to run away and sat by their side.

- - - - -

When I woke from these visions, I was so fixated on the Lobby; where I might have seen these backgrounds before. The imagery that came closest was the Overlook Hotel from "The Shining". I haven't read Stephen King's novel, but I've seen Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation. I've been distracting myself from this memory (unintentionally?), because I can't handle more than 5-minutes in that world.

The aura is unsettling, as if there's always something watching or following closely behind. As much as it frightens me to be there, part of me wants to return. I want to face the giant spheres, or confront the monster with a million glowing eyes. You might say this is all just an awful dream, but the fight in me wants to overcome those obstacles, whatever they may represent. I know I can do it, I just need time.

Related Content: https://twitter.com/puremystery/status/1316366664435290112

Comments