Engaging the Autopilot

As we continue navigating Life during the global pandemic, having personal routines has helped some of us stay productive. However, being occupied to distract from reality isn't always a healthy alternative. For those who have sustained active schedules, most likely haven't seen any breaks within their cycles. From what I understand, people regardless of their employment status have lost their sense of time as we have been left with limited options and accessibility to what previously existed. With nowhere to go and nothing to do, what’s next on the agenda?

For those who don't know about me: Before I was hired by my current employer, I sincerely Prayed for the role that I applied. At the time, it was something I desired because I thought it would give me purpose and direction. I couldn’t see myself working from home and I wanted to be part of a team that works toward a collective good. I was drawn to their company, because I thought I’d perform well within medical administrative settings. Even now, I didn’t think my experiences as a pharmacy technician would play a significant role, but everything I’ve learned since that time has been beneficial.

One of the key words that’s been echoing in my mind lately: “Autopilot.” I feel that this accurately describes my daily experiences over the past month. I’d say this is different than what we might associate with the calmness that comes with "Cruise Control". Since I've been growing through daily experiences at this facility, operating on Autopilot has proven to be a double-edged sword. I am thankful to be employed, able to generate income and contribute to society in positive ways. Another part of me dreads starting another cycle that sees no end. Work has kept the momentum, but I don’t know where this ship is going.

Prior to the worldwide shutdown, I didn’t know where I was heading in life, feeling lost and uncertain. I view myself as more jovial in the past, because I started investing time into rediscovering myself as an individual. I was focused on lifting myself out of awful situations and looking forward to gaining new experiences. I think it’s safe to assume many of us have tapped into our Survival State and we have been doing whatever we can to stay afloat. I still feel strange on this timeline, but I’m convinced we’re all a little lost these days, experiencing stress on an intense, collective level.

I'm starting to understand why interviewers love to ask, "Where do you see yourself in the future?" I could say I’ve glazed over many things in the background, but it’s more accurate that I haven’t invested in actually processing those thoughts. I suppose my current role contributes to some of it, but I feel this more greatly reflects the climate we’ve been living in. I haven’t considered what the future looks like from here and have kept within the present. I’ve momentarily stopped planning things, just to see where I am today, and all I can think about is waking up tomorrow to do it all over again.
 
Engaging the Autopilot : Inhale, Tap Out, Get Going.

- - - - -
Related Content: 


Comments