Awake at Mourning

Someone use to say my mouth would get me in a lot of trouble someday. Even now, I'm not entirely sure what they meant by that. Is this supposed to intimidate Me from ever speaking up? I may not be as verbal or as aggressive as I think I should be. However, my Silence is not to be mistaken for Complacency.

- - - - -

You may have heard the phrase, "wake up and choose violence" in an absurd, sarcastic way. While I enjoy jokes and memes as much as the next person, I've been taking time to examine those words more deeply. I may have said some hurtful things in the past, but I've never been an adult who has initiated physical harm. I feel I've been highly self-aware and don't remember a time when I was the first to strike. I sense there's a mental disconnection when adrenaline hits you in the heat of the moment; this is not meant to dismiss myself or anyone of their experiences. Rather, I'll never fully understand what goes on in someone's mind when they engage another person violently.

Several months ago during the summer of 2020, some family members minimized acts of Racism aimed at Asian people, as if it were nonexistent - This sincerely shocked me. I remember being vocal about all of us being targeted or harassed for being Non-White. To the rest of the world, we're just like any other person of color and the reality of it is not everyone is cordial about our differences. While it's pleasant to live within comfort, I wonder if people are unaware of the world outside of theirs, or if they choose not to acknowledge these truths. There's a privilege that comes without having to worry or engage those parts of reality. Though, I'm not here to scrutinize anyone.

This past weekend, I attended a local vigil to recognize and honor the victims of the recent Atlanta shootings. This gathering was held at Almansor Park of Alhambra, California. When I found out about the Vigil, I felt greatly compelled to show support and be present with the community. Almansor happens to be one of my favorite public spaces and I've always felt safe whenever I went. I wasn't sure what to expect going there, but I felt my attendance was necessary. No one disputed my decisions to do this. I understand this is not an isolated event, but it holds weight within multiple narratives, some of the ugliest parts of our world involving: Racism, Sexual offense, Male Supremacy.

I'm thankful I made myself present with the community and got to experience this event first hand. I was joined by a few friends and even my parents showed up to the field, where we mourned and prayed together. The hosts featured representatives from around the city to speak on their values and experiences through all of this. Hearing their voices helped me understand some of my own life events. I feel like this was my first time attending a public Vigil, but I doubt it will be the last. There's great relief being joined by those who desire change and are willing to confront these hardships. It shouldn't take national coverage to acknowledge the suffering of others, yet here we are.


Comments