Speak No Ego

How is it that people speak the exact same language and completely misunderstand one another? I feel like this happens all the time, but that doesn't make the experience any less annoying. I suspect certain individuals deliberately misinterpret information whenever it doesn't benefit them, or they simply refuse to accept. People sometimes make expressions of Pride with an underlying selfishness and are never aware of how their dialogue can be problematic. I often wonder if people actually hear themselves when they talk.

Throughout my life, I've had a tendency to place others before me, but I'm learning to reinforce personal boundaries and shield myself when needed. I act within my interests, but am highly sensitive to others as well. One of the lessons I've been learning is removing Ego from the conversations and situations where it serves no purpose. This is difficult when I'm sincerely doing the best that I can to communicate. However, it's upsetting engaging in conversations and the other party misses the message entirely.

When people berate me for the way that I speak or provide information, my Ego occasionally steps in and takes a defensive stance. This is especially frustrating when someone doesn't understand or refuses whatever I have to contribute. I've spent my entire life learning and expressing myself in the English language, so I consider myself a strong communicator. I take pride in my ability to speak across different platforms. However, I do not let hubris blind me from continued learning and growing.

No one likes being silenced, but I tend to quiet myself so I may be receptive to the other party - I listen and let them air their thoughts before I respond. The challenging interactions have pushed me to look deeper and examine myself: from the vocabulary I use and the way in which I deliver messages. While I'm able to freely communicate, I'm reminded to exercise my own patience and comprehension skills. I know it's impossible to exist in this world without upsetting anyone, but we weren't meant to walk on eggshells.

Why complicate my words when I said it clearly the first time? I'm not going to spend my life Translating myself to someone who doesn't listen. Speak No Ego: remove yourself from it.

Comments