Act Gently as Youth

Ever since I have been old enough to practice Self-Awareness, I've exercised my actions with a strong sense of precaution. I still find it challenging making decisions solely for me, as I have always considered others before myself. In the past, I navigated life so carefully in hopes to avoid conflict. With that in mind, I’ve always viewed my actions as potentially Life-Changing for everyone around me. Now as an adult, I’m learning to operate more based on my own goals and desired outcomes, regardless of how others respond. I see how my actions effect people, but I recognize that I evolve for myself and not for others. 

For an extensive period, I was convinced that moving out of the family home would be one of those major events that could change my entire life. I always imagined my decision to leave the Nest could significantly transform my family as well. Unable to predict the future, I wasn't sure what would happen and the unknown often intimidated me. It always looked as though this was some distant dream that I couldn’t manifest in reality, because I didn't think I would survive on my own. I received words of advice from others and this only added to the list of anxieties I had been holding onto. It took years and much patience for me to even be comfortable with the idea of leaving home.

Since I've had some time and space to distance myself physically, mentally and emotionally, I sense the relationships with my family members have healed somewhat. It doesn't always have to be some special occasion for me to visit, but I'm learning to value my time spent with them. There are moments when I primarily feel connected to my siblings on the surface level as our discussions are usually of trivial matters, or what we're streaming for entertainment. I understand that this might be how we can all relate to and exist peacefully with one another. At our last few gatherings however, I realized that I don't hold resentment toward anyone.

Living within my own realm has given me the opportunity to reflect so much these past few months. I'm starting to see how this movement has shifted my perspective and mended the wounds I had previously internalized. It goes without say that everyone has their own issues, but I'm learning to remove myself from the past and release tension as I grow and move forward. The sense of independence for me as the youngest sibling; having the strength and willpower to lift myself without leaning heavily on anyone. Operating on my time and energy, living life the way that I want to. This has been an extremely liberating and rewarding experience so far.

Act Gently as Youth : The Young Catalyst

Comments