Dream - She Takes Flight

When I was a little girl, I experienced flying dreams fairly often. I never questioned any of my abilities within the dream space, as flight always felt natural for me. Whenever I fly in my dreams, I'm able to observe that whole world with relative ease. I enjoy looking at the expansive landscapes from great heights, soaring far beyond the earth's atmosphere. There's something beautiful about seeing an entire universe from another perspective, even if it's fabricated and fueled by my imagination. My dream self is ambitious and takes flight whenever the opportunity arises.

This past week, I had visions of flying nearly every other night. In my adolescence, I used to think my phantom-abilities were traits of a weakling, but I've come to see how a stealth approach works to my benefit. No one can touch or see me when I vanish into the ether; no one even suspects that I’ve left the building. The instant that I removed myself from these places, I reviewed the whole area as if looking at a diorama or a raised map. Once I lift off, I rarely see myself returning to the ground level; I observe and go unseen as I levitate.

While I would normally be excited to experience frequent lucid visions, I started questioning the sequences that led up to each departure. During these episodes, I remember deliberately leaving because something deeply upset me. I kept crossing paths with someone I no longer communicate or associate with. I suspect my dream self constantly engaged flight as a form of personal protection. Instead of seeking resolve or starting some conversation, I realized the exiled presence is no longer worth my time or energy. I figured it would be best for me to leave than to argue over which one of us arrived first.

Every time I see someone that I recognize within my dreams, I assume they're trying to communicate. While connecting in the real world is unrealistic for some, I'll occasionally find them wandering the dream realm instead. This occurrence doesn't surprise me as much as it offends me - It shows that some people have no regard for boundaries. I sense visions hold a space where others may feel free to express themselves, because I can't picture certain people carrying on like this in reality. Entering the dream space does not grant people anymore access than I allow them.

I consider dreams as sacred visions, because they're essentially intimate spaces with the subconscious self. I make it my priority to protect that energy in all realms. So to answer an age old question: Fight or Flight? She Takes Flight.

Comments