In Relent for Work

Over the course of my career, I didn't think I had the capacity to be involved in the work that I'm doing right now. For those who don't know, I've been employed with the front staff of a private medical practice as of the end of 2020. It's safe to say that my role as an assistant is considered Front Line Work. I've learned and experienced so much in such a short amount of time and continue going to the office, because I appreciate the people that I work with. I never pictured myself thriving in Healthcare and avoided it for a long time, but now I see how my presence makes all the difference. There's never a dull moment and time moves so quickly - Every day surprises me in my ability to Persevere.

With each passing moment, the pandemic has introduced unhealthy amounts of stress in our every day lives. The extremes have undoubtedly pushed people into a survival state of mind and the trauma has taken it's toll on all of us. I feel fortunate to work within an independent clinic as opposed to something more large scale, like an urgent care or hospital setting, as I don't feel prepared for the bigger arenas yet. While the front desk is the first point of contact, the management heavily prioritizes our own safety and well being. While I'd like to continue putting my best self forward, my position is easily disputed when things may get out of control - and if you can imagine, this happens fairly often.

The challenges we face within the field are nothing short of overwhelming, yet I feel compelled to keep going, because I don't know what else I would be doing on the current timeline. One of the most difficult aspects of work involves assisting those who are hypervigilant, only to become the target of their frustration. It's to the point where I'm unable to resolve those situations alone; as if drowning at sea, trying to help others get out of the deep end. This makes me question my abilities and whether I'm cut out for this role. I recognize it is not my responsibility to save every person that I come across, as that's unrealistic. Removing the idea of being someone's Savior seems to be an ongoing lesson as I move forward.

On multiple occasions, I've been told that I'm highly skilled at keeping my composure in these situations, but my ability to withstand such extremes has been wearing thin. As of late, I have been addressing my mental health more frequently, taking necessary actions to protect and ground myself. Despite the grueling conditions and clients who devalue my ability to perform, these obstacles have not stopped me from continuing my pursuits. Existing in this line of work has actually inspired me to return to school and obtain certification, so I may have an opportunity to learn more and advance further. I don't know if I've worked within any other setting that has influenced me so strongly, but I feel that this may be the next step. As anxious as I am to continue growing, I know that this is just the beginning.

In Relent for Work : Life Known Terror : Front Line Worker

- - - - -
Related Content: 

Comments

  1. Pris this was powerful! The unexpected journey that has brought things out of you that could have been overlooked! This is great and how the journey is building you up too! Super encouraging yo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rok, Thank You for your kind words always! My career path has shifted before, but this time I feel confident that I can apply everything I've learned and it excites me to expand even more. Thank You for being a friend along the journey & sharing insight along the way!

      Delete

Post a Comment