Save Atlas Firmly

The other week, I visited my family for dinner to celebrate one of my cousins birthdays. While my siblings gathered for table games after our meal, I stuck around to do a load of laundry. I went to my old bedroom to fold clothes and my Dad took a seat inside to keep me company. He asked how I've been holding up at the apartment and what work has been like. I aired some of my grievances and current challenges, but I also talked about my future goals and the kinds of things that I look forward to. Dad hung onto every word and I sense he was in awe of my progress.

It's always nice sharing words with Dad in an uninterrupted space, because I feel we sometimes get distracted when other family members are present. Sometimes I wonder if my siblings have had similar conversations with Dad, or if he's ever shared any deep thoughts with them. I don't consider myself the favorite child, but I am his youngest daughter. I know that in his mind, I am eternally his little girl and this is one of the most challenging parts of reality for me to accept. I think of my family often enough and I do value and miss them, but I also greatly desire my own time and space to continue growing.

There was a point in our conversation when Dad said something completely unexpected: "I've never done what you're doing, to move out on your own and live independently."

My immediate response was, "Maybe you've experienced independence differently than I do, but these are the paths we've made for ourselves." I said this with all sincerity, but I know exactly what he was referring to.

When I was a little girl, Dad would routinely tell us about our family's migration from the Philippines to the United States. From what I remember, Dad accompanied my Grandma to the U.S. after she had won an essay writing contest. According to Dad, none of my Mom's siblings were able to fly overseas with Lola Mayme, so he volunteered to take the extra ticket and tour some of the States. At the time of their visit, Los Angeles was holding the Summer Olympics (1984) and being present for that sparked great interest in him. He envisioned many opportunities and the excitement lit a flame in his heart. It wasn't long until my parents decided that they would bring our immediate family to Southern California.

As often as he tells his stories, I can't imagine what the emotional experience was like for my parents. Dad talks about how leaving "that life" changed everything for us; sometimes he wonders what would have happened had they decided to stay. My parents married young with big goals and ambitions, a growing family and one more on the way ... Among my siblings, I was the only child born on U.S. soil. So they left extended families and the world that they knew in the Philippines to pursue the American Dream. I'd say my parents take pride in this part of their journey, Dad being more obvious than Mom. I don't blame him though; afterall, these were the life-changing decisions that shaped our Future.

After having moved out and start living on my own terms, I'm starting to understand more about the sacrifices that have been made for all of us to get to this point. Even though I grew up in a completely different world than what my parents had, I know efforts were made for the sake of me and my siblings. Being an adult now and living out my dreams, I'm especially thankful for the opportunity and ability to do so - I Give Thanks for this in my prayers every single day. I consider myself very fortunate to have the relationship to speak freely with my parents, so that I may carry Dad's tradition of story telling and share the chapters of my own journey.

- - - - -
A Family's Travels
Lays Vital Frames;
Mists Valleys Afar,
Save Atlas Firmly.

- - - - -
Related Content:

https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2021/07/act-gently-as-youth.html - Act Gently as Youth 
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2021/05/intrigued-grace-exists.html - Intrigued Grace Exists 
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2021/04/space-for-prayer.html - Space for Prayer 

Comments