In Close Rotation

As much as I enjoy solitude, I feel conflicted when I see others gathered at events, parties, concerts, etc. I experience the inevitable Fear of Missing Out (FOMO), while another aspect feels great anxiety toward large crowds. I don't think I can handle those situations as easily as I did before; my paranoia has been magnified Thanks to the Pandemic. Even though Social Media has partly contributed to this and warped my perception, I'm releasing the idea that I always need to be accompanied to enjoy time. I’m aware that some people currently remain cautious and keep their in-person activities to a minimum, so I've been learning to enjoy Myself. None of this dismisses my desire for human connection, however.

Seeing the timeline continue, I’ve become more aware of my social meter. It was limited to begin with, but I feel as though this gauge has significantly decreased during the Pandemic. I didn’t think social distancing and an indefinite lockdown would effect me severely, as I’m already an introverted person. Outside of my day job and social media, I don’t have many interactions with other people. I've been trying to satisfy the need for community, going into public spaces while observing my distance and masking regularly. I remain relatively introverted, but desire a sense of belonging somewhere. It has been an isolating experience to say the least.

When I moved to Alhambra, I assumed I would be closer to things that I enjoy; all of the restaurants, venues and scenery for example. I know that I don’t have to go anywhere when the weekend rolls around, but I realized I've started making reasons to step outside of the apartment. While I'm able to explore these things on my own time, there are moments when I think these experiences might be even better with other people. After all, Isn't that the joy of Companionship? The reality of adult life that everyone operates on their own schedule and agenda. Our interactions have to be calculated to a degree in order to respect everyone's time.

Some part of me believes that there is never enough time in the week to connect with friends, let alone accomplish all of the things that I want to do independently. I wonder if my relationships are deteriorating because of our lack of togetherness? I started questioning if my lifestyle choices, such as work, continued education & creative hobbies are depriving me of opportunities to spend time with loved ones. I wouldn't say my Social life is Sporadic, but if someone I know and care for wants to spend time, I usually welcome it. I realize I have to remain realistic of my own time and energy. I'm doing my best to accommodate this desire for connection and honor my needs all the same.

In Close Rotation : Solo Interaction

Comments