Linear Sprints Indicated

Discipline is an interesting word. I'll sometimes hear others describe me as being Disciplined, but I'm never entirely sure what that means. There are people that dedicate their whole existence to maximizing their potential and becoming the absolute best version of themselves. I think about people like Astronauts, Olympic Athletes, Martial Artists and Monks, for example. I feel as though within these past few years, I've only started understanding the direction I desire in Life. While I try to maintain certain practices, I don't view myself as orderly as I would like to be.

Rather than identify as a Disciplined person, I think more about my temperament and actions. I don't see myself as Impulsive or reactive and I try to navigate situations with consideration to others. As an adult, I aim to be Self-Reliant and Efficient, in whatever way I decide to use my time. However, I do not deny my flaws or weaknesses; I occasionally grow fixated on the imperfections and mistakes. My internal experience tends to feel like chaos most of the time, but I realize that I've managed to hold myself together and carry on - So I simply pray for the Strength to continue every day.

Without a doubt, there have been instances in the past where I acted outside of these standards of Discipline. Over time, I've started identifying how my actions contributed to those events. This lesson has been fairly challenging, trusting that I acted in the best possible way with the information that I knew. Sometimes I question myself: "If I acted differently, how could that change the outcome?" There were times I realized that I could have been more Selfish, or Self-Serving. I feel that I instinctively placed other people before myself and as a result, I've been conditioned in a way where I deny my own Satisfaction.

There is a definitive line between wants and needs - Knowing that, I don't think I fully give into my desires all too often. Even at this stage of my life, I continue moving carefully and make calculated decisions, because that’s what I’m used to. I don’t view myself as living in fear, but I see how some of my own actions may limit me. Perhaps this is what people mean when they say that someone is Disciplined. Maybe it isn’t all about controlling the impulsive parts of self, but coming to terms with our goals and how we define success. This is a Reminder that ultimately no one has power over how I limit or liberate myself.


I make decisions for myself and am learning to accept those choices. At this point, I consider it a blessing to even have options.

- - - - -
Insisted, Intrepid, Carnal
Linear Sprints Indicated
Drained Spirit Can Listen
Discipline and Restraint

Comments