Secret Hysteria

Have you ever been so overwhelmed by something that it causes you to cry? When a loved one passes away, we cry and mourn the loss of that person. When a child is born, their cries indicate that they’re alive and taking their first breaths. In the past, I desperately wished for tears to fall when I wanted to express myself, but couldn’t understand why my eyes ran dry. I have to reframe what I know about the types of tears we can experience, because it’s not always that simple.

For a good amount of my life, I’ve had difficulty expressing myself emotionally. Whenever I felt low and upset, I couldn’t shed tears if I wanted to. I’d always see others express themselves openly and wonder why I couldn’t do the same? I’m beginning to think that I’m not as emotionally charged and have suppressed myself over time. I’m slow to react and I tend to hesitate more than most people. This doesn’t dismiss the intensity of my feelings, but how they’re displayed.

Previously, I thought there might be something physically wrong with me, because I don’t cry as freely as others. I’ve learned that my body stores information, so my experience is different as opposed to being reactive. Someone once asked me if there are songs I listen to have a “good cry,” but I didn’t know how to answer. I used to think the feeling associated with crying was supposed to be sadness. I’ve gotten used to processing emotions after the fact and I’m starting to understand my experiences once I’m able to release it.

Lately, I realized that I tend to cry for personal gains rather than losses, maybe even for joyful reasons. Being in healthy relationships with friends and family fills my heart and makes me teary. Hearing sweet phrases spoken aloud like, “I Love You,” makes my eyes water and soften. I used to equate tears to misery, but I’m learning that I would cry for those I’ve ever loved and cared for. It’s nice knowing that our hearts can be so filled with Joy that it pushes us to tears.

In the past I used to pray for Abundance, so I like to think the Joys I experience now are an active manifestation of that. Understanding this aspect of self greatly comforts me, because I felt uncertain about myself for so long. I’m thankful I haven’t had to experience as many painful, heartbreaking cries. How nice is it that tears are expressions of tenderness, holding onto so much that the heart overflows. Maybe this is what it means when they say “My cup runneth over”.

“These tears I cry aren’t tears of pain...”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Secret Hysteria
Strict as Her Eye
It Recreates Shy
These Tears I Cry

Related:

Comments