The other day, we took the Train to a local promenade and had an unfortunate encounter with their security. Everything this establishment offers exists behind cold, metallic gates, from recently updated safety procedures. I remember a time when barriers didn't exist in this space and people were able to roam freely. It doesn’t offer comfort when the entry process looks no different than the Airport TSA. I understand the need for metal detectors, but why would they run our bags through scanners? Do they suspect their guests are smuggling illegal substances or paraphernalia into the park? How many guards does it take to search someone’s bag? What happened, Are we not safe here?
What confuses me is how their staff handled our complaints. There were no signs at the entrance indicating what is and isn’t allowed. After searching through our items, they told us that Felt-Tip Markers are strictly prohibited. Sidebar Question; Why are they Weaponizing a tool made for Creation? When we asked if there was an alternative way to store belongings into a locker, they said they couldn’t secure anything for later retrieval. We took the Train and didn’t drive a car there, so the next option was to throw away our belongings, or vacate the premises entirely? Ridiculous and Unfair. After unpleasant discussions with the security checkpoint supervisor, they let us go past the gates and onto the property.
In the back of my mind, I could hear my mom telling me not to resist or refute people in positions of authority, but there are so many ways with how this went wrong. I can't believe how unprofessional the incident was handled and I have no desire to return. Not to mention another guard interrogated us AFTER the altercation, "What's going on, where did you park your vehicle?" "We are LEAVING! The way we came: On the train!" (Like Everyone else!) Who was it that asked for increased security? Who decided to weaponize an artist’s tool? Why did they feel it was appropriate to eject us over a felt-tip marker?
What confuses me is how their staff handled our complaints. There were no signs at the entrance indicating what is and isn’t allowed. After searching through our items, they told us that Felt-Tip Markers are strictly prohibited. Sidebar Question; Why are they Weaponizing a tool made for Creation? When we asked if there was an alternative way to store belongings into a locker, they said they couldn’t secure anything for later retrieval. We took the Train and didn’t drive a car there, so the next option was to throw away our belongings, or vacate the premises entirely? Ridiculous and Unfair. After unpleasant discussions with the security checkpoint supervisor, they let us go past the gates and onto the property.
On our walk toward the restaurants, we were apprehended by MORE guards, for the interaction that took place at the gate. Management came out to confront us with 6 additional staff, in an attempt to “escort” from the premises. It was at that point that they told us we were no longer welcome and needed to Exit Immediately. What is the point of increasing security when mass personnel only show up to terrorize the visitors? Consider the fact that sending a mob of personnel to confront one person is NOT the right move. One of the guards flexed their arms and pumped their chest before telling us to leave. Whether that's an intimidation tactic or reason for the staff to get physical, I was beyond mortified.
In the back of my mind, I could hear my mom telling me not to resist or refute people in positions of authority, but there are so many ways with how this went wrong. I can't believe how unprofessional the incident was handled and I have no desire to return. Not to mention another guard interrogated us AFTER the altercation, "What's going on, where did you park your vehicle?" "We are LEAVING! The way we came: On the train!" (Like Everyone else!) Who was it that asked for increased security? Who decided to weaponize an artist’s tool? Why did they feel it was appropriate to eject us over a felt-tip marker?
I have a feeling that many of my questions will go unanswered and this sincerely upsets me. The venue lost me as a customer that day and I didn’t even spend money to make that decision. This experience was confusing, humiliating and traumatizing on all accounts. I understand the necessity to uphold policy and corrective action, but everything that happened there was wildly inappropriate. It tells me that these people have no skills when it comes to de-escalation. Good Luck with that, then. There is so much more that I want to say, but this is about as raw as I want to be on this platform, for my own protection.
Thanks for Nothing ~ Have a Day You Deserve.
# # # # #
How the Discussion Lit
Down Such Hostilities
Cushioned it with Loss
Unsolicited Shitshow
Down Such Hostilities
Cushioned it with Loss
Unsolicited Shitshow
Comments
Post a Comment