If of Greater Wisdom

Growing up within a Christian family, I haven’t taken much initiative to explore any other religious practices until now. The person I’m dating has welcomed me into their local Temple, so I’m slowly getting acquainted with Buddhist practices. While I’m curious about other religions, I have to let go of any limiting perceptions about what “Worship” is, or can be. Nothing has discouraged me from attending, but with each new experience, there’s lots of information to digest.

The most recent event I attended was the Goma Ritual. This is a monthly service that allows attendants to make an offering and burn ‘gomagi’ (wooden sticks) with unique inscriptions. The deity who is acknowledged during this service is associated with the 28th day of the month. The deity is said to release prayers or burdens through a fiery cleanse. On the day that I attended, our group was informed that it would be the Most-Auspicious time of year to participate in the Goma Ritual (05/28/2023). This marks my first time attending Goma Service and I felt strongly moved by the whole experience. 

Goma Ritual involves setting strong intentions and active participation from all of those who attend. The Sensei and their ‘disciples’ led our group with loud, rhythmic chanting and instructed us to repeat the mantra at least one-hundred-and-eight (108) times. At first, I felt something leave my body and enter the air. While I pressed my hands in prayer against my chest, the sensation felt so intense that my palms began to sweat. I had trouble chanting at first, but once I got into my own flow, I wholly enjoyed it. I chanted, prayed and focused on my safety and personal recovery.

My experience felt intensely internal, as reflected by the external stimuli. I saw and smelled smoke rising and heard the fire crackling while we chanted. My chin fell toward my chest as I kept my head lowered to repeat the mantra. Every time I looked up to see the rest of Temple, I saw the Priest moving his hands around the flames; I imagined he might be performing mudras. I sensed my efforts actively contributed to the energy of the room as well. It felt good to have an intentional and cathartic release through the fire. Goma Service was all encompassing and an incredible experience that I needed for myself.

December 2022, when I reconnected with my old friend, I recall they attended Goma Service prior to our reunion. This is the same person I’ve started dating and has since introduced me to their Buddhist Temple. Now having experienced Goma Ritual myself, I think about what they might have offered or prayed for. I remember feeling uncertain at that time, but trusting that our meeting was meant to be. I imagine the fire helped to clear the path that day. Our relationship has since then opened up to new lessons and life experiences, so I hope following this path helps us continue learning and growing together. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
If of Greater Wisdom / Fire of Great Wisdom

Comments