Wishing Well

There’s an old practice where people toss coins into pools of water, in hopes of granting dreams into reality - Sometimes referred to as Wishing Wells. I didn’t know the origins of this practice until recently. European traditions say that knights would throw the weapons and armor of their defeated enemies into Wishing Wells as offerings to the Gods. Maybe you knew an older relative who dropped coins in pools for good luck, or they’d pass this tradition to their grandchildren. I don’t know anyone who still does this, or uses Wishing Wells in this manner. If you come across public fountains, chances are they’ll have coins randomly sitting at the bottom. 

Just so everyone understands how the Wishing Well (supposedly) works. First, you make an offering: sometimes of monetary or material goods. Next, Make a Wish: maybe something Universal, like achieving World Peace, or perhaps very personal, like mending an estranged relationship ... And then what? You might not like me after I say it. This is the part where some people wait for an eternity before anything actually happens. Sometimes the change never takes place and people continue believing that someday, their Wish will come true. 

One friend brought this to my attention when we discussed the manner in which people address issues of their concern. This is based on the idea that “time heals all wounds“ and the ultimate notion that, “things eventually sort themselves out.” They referred this kind of consultation as, “Well-Wishing.” As much as I would like to keep a positive outlook, there are certain situations where I just don’t see Well-Wishing applies. Yes, People are able to identify conflict, but it is not the same as confronting or resolving it. There’s only so much effort that goes into prayer, until it becomes a matter of taking action. 

No single person has solutions to all of our problems, but millions of people continue praying to God as a source of comfort and answer to everything. I am not saying this to belittle anyone; this is by no means to criticize people who practice Prayer or Well-Wishing. I was informed that Prayer is an internal focus. I continue prayer and regular meditation so I can state weekly intentions for myself. I can’t say much on behalf of others, but I still address these concerns, even in my thoughts. Certain people choose not to engage conflict, because they believe the situation will resolve itself. Understand that for some people, the Wishing Well is like living with an otherwise unpleasant situation.

- - - - -
Related Content: 

Comments

  1. In order to change some situation or solve a problem we should do something. Inaction can change nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you - In my attempts to express my concern to the involved parties, I have been shut down and dismissed each time.

      I wish I knew how to go about these situations properly, but I am not in a position of power to initiate change within those individuals. I can only help myself at this time.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for the message. This entry was published to address an apparent turmoil that was not addressed within my family. I was estranged from them at the time that I wrote this. Mothers, Fathers and siblings were involved in the discussion. As uncomfortable as it is to confront certain realities, opening up has made it a little easier to speak with them, or at least make myself present.

      Among those that I had previously spoke to about my sibling tension, they would often say, "Maybe Time will change things." It frustrated me that outside parties were making Wishes without executing any Action - it was then that I discovered the Wishing Well.

      I appreciate your sentiment. I have been actively working toward my desires, regaining time and space with those I trust and admire. I recognize certain individuals will not be willing to accept what has happened. I cannot change what has already happened, but I am learning to recognize my faults and embrace the humility that comes with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment