Valhalla Drive

These past few years, I've been fortunate to celebrate my birthdays at various social gatherings. I didn't have to plan anything, all I had to do was show up and enjoy someone else's party. This year however, my birthday landed on Monday. I know that 9-to-5-folks dread the first day of the work week, so I took this opportunity to extend my weekend. Due to the nature of our office culture, I rarely ask for any days off, but now I see that this needed to happen. The activities Friday through Sunday involved late nights with close friends, so when Monday came, I used that time to relax.

Most of my birthday revolved around North Hollywood and Burbank. I drove several circles around those districts: from my first manicurist visit, to half-priced Pizza and Birthday Pizookie @ BJ's with Kai, browsing divination decks at Barnes & Noble, then taking Valhalla Drive to the Cemetery. Yes, You read that correctly; I visited a Cemetery on my Birthday. I made it a point to see the "Portal of the Folded Wings Shrine," as it's a monument I have always seen in passing, but never looked closely in detail. My interest with this place stemmed from their theme of Aviation; being an Air sign, Gemini, looking to take Flight.

When I entered the Cemetery, I felt nothing intimidating or unusual about it. The Sun warmed me as neighboring winds rolled across the fields. This place is located next to the local Airport, so airplanes fly overhead frequently. As part of their monument, they have plaques within the Shrine to honor pioneers of flight. The ceiling of the shrine is decorated with Stars and the exterior has beautiful, ornate patterns and statues that veil the dome. Observing the tombstones, they looked freshly decorated, some had balloons and bouquets. I imagine many families visited during Memorial Day.

During my stay, I thought about removing unnecessary mental attachments; to rid myself of toxic, self-deprecating ideas. The more I focused on them, I realized I was actually holding onto these things stronger than ever. Rather than controlling the situation, I let go and exercised flow - to achieve the peace that I desire, I stopped forcing everything. I remember standing underneath a golden tree, listening to leaves in the breeze. This type of quiet allowed me to hear more than the monologue in my mind, a pleasant silence. I enjoyed myself and reflecting on those who have passed on before me. I know this is an unconventional means to celebrate Life, to be present with the stillness of Death.

On this birthday, I realized that I should not have to wait an entire year to try new experiences. This is the first time in awhile that I've thought very intently about my activities and how I choose to spend my time. I would like to exercise this kind of independence more so as I continue - I understand that an enormous part of it involves getting over any fears or anxieties I'm holding onto. My time spent away from the office allowed me to focus solely on my satisfaction and obtaining that peace of mind. It did not require an audience or community to come to this conclusion. For once, I'm glad to be present.

- - - - -
Related Content:

https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2019/05/prismatic-renaissance.html - "Prismatic Renaissance"
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2018/10/dream-arrivals-and-departures_6.html - "Arrivals & Departures"
https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2018/06/isolation-flotation.html - "Isolation Flotation" (Dirty Thirty)

Comments