Space for Prayer

This past Easter, our family was joined by a few relatives: one of my aunts, my cousin and her husband. At lunch, my cousin announced that she and her spouse would be moving out of state by the summer. My initial thought was, "Congratulations! I wonder how her mom will adjust." This is the same aunt and cousin who prayed for me at one of our previous family gatherings - an act of kindness that I'm eternally grateful for. In my years of knowing my aunt as an individual, I tended to view her as an overly-protective Hen, but now I understand that she was just doing the absolute best for her children. She did well to raise intelligent, independent young women.

At the end of the day, I volunteered to take my aunt back home. Currently, she's one of the tenants of my parents other property and is working on some changes of her own. On our drive to the old house, we talked about my own plans to move out. She asked questions about what my budget looks like and where I would like to live. With those details I expressed my own gripes, apprehensions and desires with independence, but I sensed no criticism or judgement when speaking. I actually felt highly encouraged in that moment; her sincerity plucked my heartstrings. "Paris, I would like to pray for you and hope that you find a space that suits your needs."

When we arrived, my aunt invited me to go into the house with her. I can't recall the last time I stepped foot inside; my last few interactions with this property were to work on the outside. As it turns out, my aunt is occupying what was formerly my bedroom growing up. She invited me to see her living space, so we spent quality time, talking and catching up together. My aunt notes that prior to moving in, she had been occupying a 2-bedroom apartment. Her room had just about everything she needed and likely more than what I was able to see. I was impressed with how she arranged the space and started thinking about my own situation.

All in all, it comforted me to speak with someone within my family and receive an alternate perspective. It feels challenging to access this reality beyond my immediate view, because I've lived within a realm of comfort for so long. However, this has not stopped me from understanding what I want and working toward the things that I desire. These past few weeks, I've been approaching this subject as best I can, during the pandemic timeline when engaging people feels very strange. I look forward to exploring more, though I hope I'm able to find something sooner than later. I understand as an adult, I am the only person in the way of those goals and achievements, whatever they may be.

Over time, I've been releasing myself of material possessions so I can focus on the things that matter most. I realize I've been letting go of more as time passes, but I still feel there's so much that I'm holding onto. At some point, I'd love to have personal space that accommodates my own rituals and practices. I don't consider myself a religious person, but I desire a quiet space so I may be able to ground myself as needed. I don't know that I can continue trying to lead this lifestyle with where I am currently. Not only is this a process of growing out of comforts, but for me it's being able to move on confidently with little to no attachments.

- - - - -
Related Content:

Any Truth Phrases God - https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2021/01/any-truth-phrases-god.html
Life's Gold Hymn - https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2020/03/lifes-gold-hymn.html
Graces and Gifts - https://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2020/01/graces-and-gifts.html

Comments