The Fish Tank

Tax Season: The busiest time of year for our office, when tensions rise with the tides. This marks my second term working at the firm. It’s difficult for me to believe that I've been employed with ‘the fish tank’ this past year and half. Somehow, I’m still going. I say this because didn’t think I would survive. As it turns out, I’m decent at completing the tasks and I'm thriving. I’m doing the best that I can and look forward to finishing another term with them. By the time the Tax Season ends, maybe I’ll have an idea of what to do moving forward. As much as I would like to grow and expand beyond this, I know the job is not complete. 

As a professional business, work is taken seriously by staff and clients alike; our team functions well together with minor distractions. Since starting this job as an assistant, I’ve been accepted by my coworkers and proven myself to be a valuable teammate. I’m not the “perfect” candidate for this kind of work, but I've willingly applied my efforts and it’s helped every step of the way. I've decided to stay with the company as long as I can learn and contribute to something useful. Working within the culture has taught me more than I could ask for - Not necessarily toward a career in accounting, but observing situations of conflict and what to expect of others. 

As of late, I see how my presence among coworkers defines the relationship I have with friends and family. Most of the staff are within my age range, so we understand each another on that level and can work together to meet company goals. Still, there are some (older) individuals within the office who refuse to cooperate and put little to no effort. It's strange how my work and family situations reflect one another when it comes to Accepting Responsibility. Currently, I see them as no different. I appreciate the role models that have been established in our firm as I'm learning to be more confident and stand by my own beliefs. 

Every day that I come into work, I access another part of myself just to function. I don't think any part of this is artificial or false, but there are specific aspects of myself that I'm willing to make present. For example, when deep sea diving: you need the proper suit and equipment to move around and breathe. There are moments when I feel like I could drown, but I'm fortunate to have coworkers that support and encourage me to go with the flow. While every job is going to have it's pros and cons, I won't let this team down. I sense there are plenty of lessons to learn while I’m still around.

Comments