Theory Chose Love

The idea of romantic relationships was something my teenage mind greatly misunderstood. The adolescent version of myself put emphasis on labels, because I equated it to being worthy of love. I know now that this is a big misconception and only brings disappointment and heartache. With previous partners, my thoughts on relationship labels were often downplayed and my desire for definition was ignored. This led me to question my beliefs and dismiss myself of being formally titled someone's Girlfriend. Having this distinction would have helped me better understand what those relationships were.

After a number of upsetting encounters and failed dates, I stopped expecting fulfillment from incompetent, self-absorbed people. Given some time and life experiences, I realized learning someone's Love Language is integral to having a healthy relationship with them, including the one I have with myself. I stopped pursuing connection through others and poured back into myself. I reevaluated my goals, including the type of partner I wanted as an adult. I wondered if I'd ever meet someone who reciprocated my kind of care and devotion. 

When it came to establishing the relationship with my current Boyfriend, I didn't reserve many expectations, but I'm happy we opened this door together. The more time I spend with this person, I better understand what it means to "love out loud". This is the first time my partner openly accepts who I am and calls me their Girlfriend without hesitation. Admittedly, my doubt and insecurities would sometimes surface, but this person gives me the assurance that I need. It feels good being with them and even greater knowing I am loved by them. 

This might be the first time I've been in a romantic relationship with strong feelings of certainty and confidence. I never beg to be understood: being acknowledged by them makes me feel seen and appreciated. This person chooses to be present with me and our influence encourages the best in each other. The honesty and sincerity that I sought in others has manifested in someone's heart. It's so nice to exist at the same time as someone who helps me feel at home with myself. To freely admire them and have that energy reciprocated. To be joined by My Beloved.

"I'm so glad you chose me, baby
And I'll make you so happy"
Isley Brothers, Choosey Lover

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Theory Chose Love:
Oh Every Echo Lost,
Oh Torch Loves Eye,

Comments