Hero-Hotline

We enjoy reading stories about heroes who are "gifted" with super powers and fantastic journeys. Sometimes, we admire these fictional idols so much that we might be inclined to say, "I wish I could be like them." But do you ever stop to think about what types of trials they've been through to get there? Some of our favorite characters are written with origin stories so dramatic, it propels them to change direction or alter their fate. What if I told you that it doesn't have to be that way in real life? Because let's face the facts: no one wants to struggle to make a difference.

I started imagining what it's like, when someone decides to take the path of a Vigilante - As heroes see opportunities to bring light and justice into their world, otherwise drowning in darkness and despair. Through these challenges, they take on "assumed responsibilities," as my father would say. However, not all people answer the Hero’s Call; taking the first step forward separates the mild mannered civilians from the "super" men and women, hard at work. In my experience, it's the sense of struggle that forces us to make that change. Stop assuming yourself useless, or worthless of cause - They say Tragedy breeds Triumph, after all.

Everyday heroes may not live as glamorously as those depicted in mainstream media, but we "fight the good fight" without thinking twice. I'm not bringing this up to point fingers at people, but there's much to appreciate about effort and sacrifice. I say this, because I see Sloths and Hedonists working against the flow of my life, all the time. Ordinary obstacles become overwhelming mountains of work when no one else does their part. Why they refuse the path of a good-hearted Samaritan? I'll never know. I don't give anyone the power to hurt my inner-hero, but I'm so focused that no one bothers to help, either - I realize I only have myself.

You work in the shadows and are rarely seen; people don’t even notice, once they see the crime scene. Leave no trace behind and keep the world clean. Not all heroes wear capes or run within teams. You're another lone wolf, with no pack to belong to. You want to serve yourself, but know Your community needs you. It's challenging to Care More, when everyone is Careless. Your special abilities include the power to Progress. The world relies on you without giving thanks or even knowing - because, it's always been You: the most dependable human being.

- - - - -
I wanted to title this entry "Vigilante," about someone who was "forced" into a Heroic alter ego. Namely meditating on Dick Grayson's transition from Robin to Nightwing. In "Batman: the Animated Series", Grayson craves independence of his surrogate parent, Bruce Wayne, but continues as an Ally and Hero. I rarely saw the portrayal of Nightwing through this era, but still greatly appreciate the character. Similarly, I didn't volunteer to be the next Hero in line, but I grew up to be the best candidate. This may not be the best analogy, but it's the easiest way to explain carrying your Family on your shoulders.

I don't have any super powers or special abilities, but they rang and I answered the Hero Hotline.

Related Content:

http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/11/broken-backbone.html - "Broken Backbone"
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/09/forever-after.html - "Forever After"
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/05/hibernation.html - "Hibernation"

Comments