Perpetual Motion

One of my former instructors use to say, “the hardest part is starting.” He said this to discourage procrastination, but I think it holds deeper truths - It’s one thing to meet deadlines, but can you keep your momentum going? I usually recall my instructors words when trying something new. I bring this up as we begin the next chapter, the next month. People make claims to New Year resolutions, but how many people turn those goals into long-term commitments? I’m talking about lifestyle changes to improve ourselves everyday. Once you’ve hit certain targets in life, your progress marks opportunities to grow even more.

Winter of 2017, my parents visited relatives and toured the Philippines from late November till the end of December. My new job had just started as well and all of the changes that took place intimidated me. As you may recall, I answered the Hero Hotline around this time and got right to work. My siblings didn't make much of an effort to maintain our living space, so I took it upon myself to handle all of those tasks. That absence forced me to take care of the whole house and myself - it drained me quickly. When Mom and Dad returned, I continued home maintenance as I had made an environment I wanted to live in.

As time passed, I started experiencing different kinds of stress in addition to my burdens at home. I found myself gaining weight with this new (sedentary) office job. I hate how it makes me look and feel at times, so I've been working on improving how I carry myself, my attitude. I took the challenge of starting an at-home exercise routine throughout January. As soon as I started exercising at night, I haven’t dropped the ball since. I’ve been dedicating an hour or so every evening that I’m not at an event or gathering. It makes me feel better physically and allows me to unwind after work.

Having been pushed into situations where I once felt totally useless, I stepped outside of discomfort to help myself. I used to be so unsure of my actions, wondering if I’m doing “the right” thing? Now, I'm convinced that I'm actively working toward the growth and success I seek. This newfound confidence feels strange - Balancing these parts of my days and nights, in addition to semi-regular social activity, is proving to be challenging. Such is the adult life. I’m not ready to set anymore goals yet, but I feel my current practices have come naturally.

Working on personal growths and lifestyle improvements can be an obsessive process. I noticed that this week, I've been cheating myself with poor dieting and I feel a significant difference when this happens now. It’s equally important to reserve time to relax, but we sometimes forget that it's an option. Some of us will rest and recover a little. For others, it may take awhile to return. It’s easy to get stuck when you've gotten comfortable with yourself. You can sink your soles into the sand, but don’t drag your feet in the ground. Don't stop now, there's more work where that came from.

- - - - -
Related Content:

http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/12/hero-hotline.html - "Hero-Hotline"
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/11/broken-backbone.html - "Broken Backbone"
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/11/strictly-business.html - "Strictly Business"

Comments