Poetry - Drink Responsibly

We shared our cups
in friendly communion.
Though gatherings rare,
they welcomed reunion.

Invested in one another,
curious and intellectual-
An exchange of words
developed the emotional.

Time birthed opportunity
to strengthen our bond;
Aim to grow closer and
share common ground.

Diving rather deeply,
confident we could swim;
overwhelmed quickly
by Truths kept within.

I’m no longer in awe
with the reality I view-
Accepting each flaw
That defines me and you.

Certain aspects still
spin round my mind.
Which belief is True:
be it yours or mine?

- - - - -
Sometimes we meet people and are compelled to embrace them, as they show us things we never knew about ourselves. To quote Bill Nye, “Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t.” It may sound strange but it’s true; before you know it, they open doors and introduce possibilities that may have been overlooked. Making connections under this light can be an exciting time of discovery and growth, but be wary of how quickly it can turn. In this entry, drinking goes beyond libations as social engagement, sharing thoughts and emotions.

With all that we invest in one another, we also learn about each others mistakes. There’s nothing wrong with the "flaws" that define us as human - though, we may sometimes drink too freely and make fools of ourselves. Even as you want to set good examples for others, you can’t control their actions. With that in mind comes the potential to stray. Another friend of mine previously said, “it’s okay to drift, it just means you’re growing.” It still rings true to this moment.

Now, for the stubbornness of it all ... I don’t agree with all the things I’ve learned about others, nor do I have to accept them. That isn’t saying I haven’t made any mistakes of my own. I could look at my own past and see I’ve lost interest in people over stupid, minuscule things. For those who want to get defensive about it: You have your Truths and I have Mine. Sometimes faded friendships are heart breaking, because part of you wanted to grow old with them. I suppose everyone has their (drinking) limit.

Your friendly reminder: Drink Responsibly.

- - - - -
Related Content:
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2018/03/weeds-among-roses.html - Weeds Among Roses (WAR)
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/09/they-exist.html - They Exist
http://atcampiris.blogspot.com/2017/08/poetry-conversing-hardships.html - Poetry - Conversing Hardships

Comments